All pictures are copyright by Gary Martens, All rights reserved.

Click on image to see larger version
Alastaro The Church at Alastaro, northwest of Loimaa.
Askainen The Church at Askainen, about 40 km northwest of Turku.
Eurajoki The Church at Eurajoki.
Dragsfjärd The Church at Dragsfjärd, dating from 1772.
Fagervik The Church near the manor house, at Fagervik Iron Works.
Forsaa The Church at Forsaa.
Hallikko The Church at Halliko.
Hammarlund KKO St. Catherines Church at Hammarlund, Aland Islands. Built sometime in the 12th century.
Hammina The Lutheran Church in the fortress city of Hammina, built in neoclassical style.
Hanko KKO The church at Hanko, originally built of red brick and completed in 1892. Severely damaged by the Russians during World War II, it was restored in 1953.

Click here to see other pictures of Lutheran Church of Hanko.
Hanko KKO The Russian Orthodox Church in the port city of Hanko. The church was built in 1895 by the Russian merchants living in Hanko
Hanko KKO The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland and the (Russian) Othrodox Church are the state churches of Finland. The book Facts About Finland indicates that 90% of Finns belong to the Lutheran Church, and another 3% to registered or unregistered denominations, and 60,000 belong to theOrthodox Church. There are Roman Catholic, Finnish Free Church, Adventist, Methodist and Jewish churches in the country, as well as small denominations such as this Jehovah Witness church in the port city of Hanko.
Harjavalta The modern church at Nakkila, located southeast of Pori.
Hattula KKO The Church of the Holy Cross at Hattula, from the 1300's. Built in the Gothic style of the South Baltic countries, it is the oldest brick church in Finland, and one of the oldest brick buildings in Finland.

Click here to see other pictures of the old church at Hattula.
Taivallahti 1 The entrance to Taivallahti or Temppeliaukio church, in Helsinki Also known as Rock Church, the church was built into solid rock and is one of Helsinki's foremost attractions.
Helsinki St. John's Church in Helsinki, the largest church in the city.
Huittinen 1 The Church at Huittinen, dating from the 1340's.
Inko The Church at Inkoo, dating from 1335. The church houses a unique painting called Danse Macabre.
Irjanne The Church at Irjanne, which is near the museum for that area.
Irjanne The Church at Jokioinen, dating from the 1600's.

Click here to see other pictures of the Lutheran Church of Jokioinen.
Kalanti The Church of St. Olav at Kalanti, located about 8 km east of Uusikaupunki. The church was built before 1400 at a location were a wood church stood. Te mural paintings in the vestry date from about 1450. The bell tower was built in later half of the 15th century. The first wooden floor was installed in 1806. The church was last restored in 1965 - 68.
Kakskerta1 Kakskerta Church on an island south of Turku
Karkku The old church near Karkku, located 10 km northeast of Vammala, and about 35 km west of Tampere,
Keramki The church at Kerimäki in eastern Finland. The church, built in 1847 to seat 3300 people, is the largest wooden church in the world.
Kimito The church at Kimito on the Dragsfjärd peninsula.
Kirkonkyla The church at Kirkonkyla, located 7 km south of Aura, and northeast of Turku..
Korpio KKO Entrance to St. Michaels Church at Korpio, originating in 1384. The church, with its defensive tower, is like the churches in Aland and other medieval churches of southwest Finland.

Click here to see pictures of the interior of the church.
Koski KKO The church at Koski. There are 21 or more villages by then name of Koski in Finland. This village of Koski is located about 30 km north of Salo, and about 45 km northeast of Turku.
Kotka KKO St. Nicholas Orthodox Church at Kotka, from 1795. The interior was designed by a French artist, who was a POW at the time. The church was part of a Russian fortress destroyed by the British during the Crimean War in 1855, only the church survived. A crystal chandelier in the church was a present of Empress Katherine in 1796.
Kuusjok The church at Kuusjoki, taken on a cold Sunday morning. Note how the bell tower doors have been opened for bell ringing prior to the church service. Kuusjoki is located about 15 kilometers north of Salo.
Kuusisto The church at Kuusisto near Pargas.
Koylio The church at Koylio, east of Aura.
Lemu The church at Lemu, located about 15 km northwest of Raisio.
Lappenranta The Lutheran church at Lappenranta, a wooden cruciform church dating from 1794.
Lappenranta The Russian Orthodox church at Lappenranta, built inside the old Russian fortress in that city. It is the oldest Russian Orthodox church in Finland, built by Russian soldiers in 1785.
Loimann-kunta KKO The cathedral at Loimann-kunta, one of German architect C. L. Engel's designs, built in 1837
Marttila St. Martin's church at Marttila, dating from 1765, which is located northwest of Salo about 30 km.
Mellila The rural church near the village of Mellila, located about 10 km southwest of Loimaa, and about 45 km north of Salo.
Merimasku. The church at Merimasku.
Metsamaa The church at Metsamaa.
Nummi The church at Nummi, from 1819. The church is located about 45 km east of Salo.
Merimasku The church at the small village of Merimasku, located west of Raisio about 16 km, and about 20 km west of Turku.
Naantali KKO The church at Naantali. The town grew around a Catholic convent which was founded in 1443. The church was completed in 1462 and the tower in 1797.
Nousianen 1 St. Henry's Church at Nousianen. Bishop Henry, who established the first Finnish diocese here, was killed near here in 1156. The church was first mentioned in 1232. The church architecture is noted by the abundant use of bricks. The church contains a dark limestone sarcophagus, made between 1415 and 1420, which stands somewhere near the grave of Bishop Henry, who was killed nearby in 1156. The bell tower was built in 1759-60.
Nousianen Cemetery The veterans section of the cemetery at St. Henry's Church at Nousianen Most cemeteries in Finland have a section for veterans of WW II. A large percent of Finnish men lost their lives in WW II, defending their country against invasions by the German and Russian Armies.
Pargas The 14th century church at Pargas, about 20 km south of Turku. The walls to the church date to the early 1300's. The wooden floor and benches were made in the 17th century. The pulpit is a copy of a work from 1647, the original is in the National Museum. The altarpiece dates to 1666, and the chandelier from 1746.
Pernio The church of St. Lawrence at Pernio, founded in 1480. It was preceeded by a wooden church at the same location. The murals on the vaults were completed around 1480. Their floral motifs are interpreted as symbolizing the Garden of Eden. Paintings also depict important Fathers of the Church, evangelists and Catholic saints. Some of the original wooden sculptures in the church remain, and date from the early 14th century. The altarpiece was painted in 1703.
Pertilli The church at Pertilli, near Salo.
Pori KKO The Pori central church, built in neogothic style in 1863. A modern sculpture is in the foreground.
Porvoo KKO The church at Porvoo, from the 1400's. This building is where the first parliament in Finland assembled in 1809, after Finland became an autonomous part of Czarist Russia.
Rauma 1 The Church of the Holy Cross in Rauma. Originally part of a Franciscan Monastery, the church dates from the 1400's Rauma-founded in 1442, is one of the great old cities in Finland.

Click here to see other pictures of the Church of the Holy Cross at Rauma.
Raisio 1 The church of Raisio, dating from 1305
Renko St. Jacobs Church at Renko, the only octagonal stone church in Finland, built in the late 15th century.
Reposaari The Church at Reposaari, built by Norwegian sailors, folowing a Norwegian design.

Click here to see pictures of the interior of the church.
Rymättylä The church of Rymättylä, located about 15 km south of Naantali, and about 20 km west of Turku.
Sääksmaki The church at Sääksmaki, located about 32 km northwest of Hämeenlinna. The church dates from the 15th century, and was restored in 1932.

Click here to see other pictures of the church at Sääksmaki.
Salo 1 The moon rises over Uskela Church at Salo The church was designed by the renowned architect C. L. Engel. The Uskela parish dates from the 13th century. The church hill of Uskela has had a church located there since 1440

Click here to see other pictures of the Uskela Church at Salo.
Salo 1 The Russian Orthodox church at Salo.
Saltvik KKO St. Mary's Church at Saltvik, Aland Islands. This is the principal church in Aland, the first part of this building was started in 1280 The location of this church is at a meeting place dating back to the Vikings. My wife's gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather C.G. Kock, a prominent building contractor from 1830 - 1850, is buried in the church yard.
Sauvo The church at Sauvo, between Salo and Pargas
Snappertuna The church at Snappertuna, dating from 1688.
Sund KKO St. John's Church at Sund, Aland Islands. Built sometime after the church at Saltvik by the apprentice of that master builder Archbishop Wenni of the Catholic Church in Germany was buried here in 936. The mighty defense tower, used to defend against enemies of the church, has walls two meters thick.
Tammela The church at Tammela.
Tammisaari The church at Tammisaari, dating from 1650.
Tarvasjoki The church at Tarvasjoki, dating from 1779. The church is located about 30 km northeast of Turku.
Teijo The church at the Teijo Manor. This is the smallest stone church in Finland.
Turku 1 The steeple of the Turku Cathedral, the national shrine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. Its oldest parts date back to the 13th century. Important people, including Catherine Mansdotter, Queen of Sweden and Finland are buried at the cathedral.
Vammala St. Olaf's church at Vammala, built in the late 14th century, with an interior which dates from the 18th century.
Västanfjärd The church at Västanfjärd, on the Dragsfjärd peninsula.

The church on Velkua Island, about 20 km west of Naantali. The island is about 2 km square, and is connected to the mainland by a 2 km ferry ride.

Vihti Construction of the church at Vihti began in 1770, after 10 years had been spent making bricks for the church. The church was finished in 1772. The church was destroyed by fire from lightning in 1818 and 1846, and repairs were finished in 1821 and again in 1848. The altar piece was painted in St. Petersburg in 1846
Yliskylä The church at Yliskylä, near Pernio, founded in 1756. The cemetery surrounding the church is from the Iron Age.
Ypäjä The church at Ypäjä, located 10 km southeast of Loimaa, and north of Salo about 50 kilometers.

Return to the Main Page

© 2002-2008, Gary Martens, All Rights Reserved -- This page last modified: Thursday, November 6, 2008